- 1 medium spaghetti squash or 2 small spaghetti squash
- 2 packages Italian chicken sausage
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch kale
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Using a sharp knife cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and discard. Place the halves, with the cut side up, on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 45-50 minutes, until you can poke the squash easily with a fork. Let cool until you can handle it safely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the kale by removing the center stems and either tearing or cutting up the leaves. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Add the chicken sausage chopped in chunks. Cook for 5-10 minutes. Add the kale in handfuls and stir until it wilts into the mix. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once cooled, scrape the insides of the spaghetti squash with a fork to shred the squash into strands. Transfer the strands into the skillet with the sausage and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with pine nuts to serve.
– The original recipe calls for raw sausage. I am not that fancy, so I used this from Big Y:
– I almost skipped the pine nuts, but they really made the dish! They’re supposed to be roasted but I’m not that motivated. If you put in the extra effort to roast, more power to you!
Original recipe: http://paleogrubs.com/stuffed-spaghetti-squash-recipe